Ah, the new puppies. Furry little balls of mischief and nonstop energy. One moment they snooze innocently, melting your heart with their tender expression. The next day, they’re a ninja slayer over your favorite scarf, reducing it to lots of designer confetti.
When humans come together, we tend to let out little parts of ourselves. Pocket change, gum, clothing and electronics left on a low table or between couch cushions can seem irresistible to a dog trying to find new digs. Any of the above items can cause a life-threatening intestinal obstruction.
Dogs are in awe of our decadent human cuisine, and if YouTube has taught us anything, it’s that they’ll go to extraordinary lengths to make it their own. Keep pots, pans and food dishes away on stove tops and counters away from staring paws. To keep harmful spikes out of cabinets and drawers, you can purchase safety latches sold at hardware and baby care stores.
Sure, drinking from the toilet is gross, but the bathroom is home to the most potential pup mischief. Hair ties, bobby pins, and bath poufs all sound like great dress-up toys for bored girls. until it becomes a fatal blockage. Even hair that accumulates on the floor can get to a foreign body in your pet’s intestines, so be sure to vacuum regularly.
Our dogs love everything that smells. Disposable shoes, socks, and pajamas all make for a wonderful reminder of a favorite person. These items can pose a choking hazard or cause a foreign body if swallowed.
When a puppy is teething, chewing on soft, rubber toys helps relieve the discomfort. And some puppies never grow out of this need to grunt! The rubbery outer sheath may be why electrical cords are such common targets, but a blistering cord can cause catastrophic injury or even death. Hide cords behind furniture, tape them down with duct tape, or invest in cord keepers for every place they appear in your home.
This is by far the most dangerous area of your home for a dog. Most virulent chemicals and dangerous items are kept here. Nuts, bolts, screws, and bolts may cause injuries to the mouth and esophagus or create intestinal obstruction. Eating these substances may cause zinc poisoning.